For Adults / Youth: What Does Justice Without Restraint Look Like?
Reflection / Discussion Questions
- Justice is concerned with what is fair, right, honorable, good. Temperance is found in restraint, self control, and responsibility. What ways do you see justice and temperance in the death of George Floyd and its aftermath in our world?
- What examples of tempered justice or justice with restraint have you seen this week?
- What ways does God call us to practice justice with restraint to do what is good, honorable, and right in our own lives?
Bishop Shelton Fabre on the Death of George Floyd
Bishop Shelton J. Fabre of Houma-Thibodaux, chairman of the Ad Hoc Committee Against Racism, speaks about the Death of George Floyd and the protests which have broken out in Minneapolis and in other cities in the United States.
- How can we reach out beyond our level of comfort to meet and learn about others, hear their stories and be open to their full humanity?
- What kind of projects can we identify that bring together different individuals, schools, parishes, small groups and / or communities to work together on an issue?
- What questions can we begin to ask and how can we examine the policies of our local, national and international community to make sure they do not discriminate against minorities and others that have not enjoyed full citizenship in some way?
- How can we bring diversity and respect for others into our prayers, our worship celebrations and our holy days and holidays?
Together We Pray
Good and gracious God,
Who loves and delights in all people,
we stand in awe before You,
knowing that the spark of life within each person on earth is the spark of your divine life.
Differences among cultures and races are multicolored manifestations of Your Light.
May our hearts and minds be open to celebrate similarities and differences among our sisters and brothers.
We place our hopes for racial harmony in our committed action and in Your Presence in our Neighbor.
May all peoples live in Peace.
Gospel Background and home lessons at Loyola Sunday Connection
Adult and big kid gospel-connected coloring page
Growing with the Gospel worksheet grades K & 1 Download
Growing with the Gospel worksheet grades 2 & 3 Download
Markkula Center for Applied Ethics — Link to lesson of the week.
Visual Gospel Reading & Reflection: John 3:16-18
Online Catholic Youth Group
Project YM live allows teens to log in for games, teachings and music from top Catholic Youth speakers across the country. Sessions go live from 7-8pm on Wednesday nights. More information here.
June Activities for Catholic Families download.