This lesson will teach about Saint Valentine, and includes a family craft. Bold text is meant to be read aloud.
Listen to the Story of Saint Valentine
Here’s a narration of the story of St. Valentine. Listen to the audio, or read the story together. Take a moment to talk about love,
Teaching – Our Family Teaches Love
Our books have been teaching us about God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Who is God the Son? (Jesus.) We’ve learned that God created the world, and He created it good. People are part of God’s good creation. The People of God are called the Church. We join the church through Baptism. At Baptism, our parents and Godparents agree to help teach us about God and about the church. They promise to show us God’s love. Can you think of some examples of the ways your parents or godparents show you love? (Answers will vary.)
Saints are people in the church who have shown God’s love in a special way. Saints can teach us how to love. In the story of Saint Valentine we see how a Bishop named Valentine, was able to show God’s love by helping loving couples get married when it was against the law to get married.
God’s love is even bigger than the love Saints show, or the love our parents and godparents have for us. God loves us no matter what!
We will be making a decorative gift box with “LOVE” inside. The poem on the outside of the box reminds us that God loves us no matter what, and he’s always with us.
- Small Cardboard box; or Toilet Paper tube to make into a box; or paper to make into an origami box.
- Markers or crayons
- Printed poem (or pen/pencil & paper for writing poem)
- Ribbon or Yarn
- Optional: heart stickers or other valentine cutouts, tape
If you need make your box, choose the version you will make. The toilet paper tube box can be made without help; adult help will probably be needed for the origami box! Note, if you make the origami box you will want two sheets of square paper, one about .5 inch bigger on each side than the other (i.e. a 7.5 in square, and an 8 in square.)
- Follow the instructions on YouTube to make a box out of a toilet paper tube. OR
- Follow the instructions on WikiHow to make an origami paper box. You’ll need to make two, so that they can fit together. I found putting a small piece of tape on the inside bottom of each box helps hold it together.
Once you have your box, or if you are using a pre-made box:
- Decorate the box with markers, crayons and/or stickers.
- Write the word “LOVE” on a small piece of paper that will fit in your box.
- Put the “LOVE” paper in the box.
- Cut out small hearts and place them in the box. Place valentine stickers or other cutouts in the box.
- Cut out the printed poem, or write the poem on a small sheet of paper.
- Wrap your ribbon or yarn around the box and tie a bow.
- Attach the poem on the top of the box:
This is a very special gift. It's one you cannot see. The reason it's so special is, It's just for you from me! Whenever you are lonely, Or even feeling blue, You only have to hold this gift, And know I think of you! You never can unwrap it, Please leave the ribbon tied. Just hold the box close to your heart. It's filled with LOVE inside. POEM pdf for printing
- Keep the box to remind you of the way God loves you, or give it to someone you love!
Lord, thank you for showing us your love through our families. Thank you for loving us NO MATTER WHAT! Amen.